Re: MMA Discussion

Yeah, but the thing is that a lot of fighters will keep hitting them when its VERY obvious they won't be getting up for a while. So, its just media trying to make UFC look like animals or something.

I loved it, though. Was rooting for Henderson the entire time. And as soon as I saw him hit Bisbing I just started rolling. Especially since his corner TOLD him not to circle left. And Goldberg had just got done saying that Bisbing was good at follow instructions. And then...Pwnt.

Epic fight, I know it'll be a nice addition to Henderson's highlight reel :P

Hm...

If he joined Lightweight...Well, we would never hear about it. Since apparently UFC hates to air their Lightweights. If he joined Welterweight, GSP would just destroy him. If he joined Middleweight, Anderson Silva...I don't need to elaborate, do I? Light heavyweight...Machida. Yeah. Heavyweight? Lesnar would just sit on him and win via decision.

Chuck Norris would die. Especially if he fought Silva.

So...I guess everyone has heard of the recent turmoil surrounding both Affliction and Fedor?

If not well...

Affliction had an event planned for sometime soon (Maybe the date passed, not sure) headlining Josh Barnett and Fedor, if I'm not mistaken. Well...Josh Barnett tested positive for a form of steroids, three times. Affliction lost their headliner just weeks before the event and were scrambling to find a replacement...Well, they ended up closing shop and are now back to being a sponsor of UFC. All fighters under Affliction were promptly dropped, namely Fedor. Very sudden and there was a lot of speculation surrounding where they would go and how it was going to affect the industry. Some moved (back) to the UFC, others went to some of the others. Fedor, after a few days of floating around and negotiating, joined with Strikeforce via a co-sponsorship between M-1(Who Fedor is ACTUALLY with), Strikeforce and DREAM. They are set up in sort of a boxing type format, with each sponsor supplying fighters to fight under one organization, all sharing the profits.

M-1, in my opinion, wanted a bit too much of the pie when they negoatiated with UFC. I believe they were wanting a co-sponsorship with the profits split 50-50. Basically just for Fedor, since that is about all they have. Not a very good deal for UFC, so while it ***** that Fedor v Lesnar won't happen for a LONG time (if ever), its good because you don't have to worry about UFC going under like all the others (WEC...EliteXC...Affliction...).

Was reading up on it and I came across an article explaining how the tri-sponsorship between DREAM Strikeforce and M-1 would ultimately play out, and I've got to agree with it. Boxing is running into trouble because of all the sponsors each fighter has, rather than being under one organization (Which is how the UFC is ran, and you can see how well it works for them. Since they pretty much have a monopoly on MMA fights...). The fights that come out of it should be very good (Since each has a lot of great fighters) but they ultimately won't last. Especially if they try getting into the mainstream (I.e. into UFC territory), which will just prompt a propaganda war between the two that UFC would ultimately win, much like it has in the past.

Oh...And...Tito is back.

Yay. /sarcasm...

its co-promote not co-sponsor

also i have been keeping tabs on the situation. i think Fedor shot himself in the foot. He is part owner of M1 so he is trying to go 50/50 with the UFC(insane) now he will fight in strikeforce and will be going 50/50 with coker. well wtf will he get 50% of? strikeforce has no ppv so i think the UFC was offering way more then he will get with a deal with strikeforce.

Personally i think Fedor made a huge mistake.

as for Tito i dont care he still seems to have a huge following even tho he *****
You can't stop me I'm on a boat!

Whoops, sorry. :P I'll edit that after this, lol.

Found the article I was reading, and while they aren't always the brightest of the bunch, I agree a bit with this one...

Taken from MMATorch.com
BENT: UFC Not 'UNICEF' wrote: Fedor Emelianenko is a great, great fighter. Perhaps the best heavyweight ever, clearly the best heavyweight not named Lesnar and even in that dream fight it is a lock he would open as a heavy betting favorite. However, Fedor has never drawn dime one in this business and is not a name known to most, if even many, of the very fans lining the Zuffa wallet today. You could combine the PPV sales of BOTH Affliction cards he headlined and add to this total the number of sales the Pride event from Las Vegas in 2006 did, and this gross number looks downright gross when compared to any of the recent UFC PPV events. Fedor is a superstar fighter indeed, but he is not a superstar, nor is he marketable.

Fedor cannot speak English and he doesn't even look menacing. Selling him as the baddest man on the planet to the non-hardcore fans is going to be no easy task. Telling these fans that he decimated Tim Sylvia and Andrei Arlovski will only elicit shrugs from fans who tell you that if those two mattered that they would have still been in the UFC.
Fedor never makes very large sales from his fights, because only a small majority actually know who he is. Great fight, terrible sales. And, being that UFC IS a business, it only makes sense for them to toss aside the fights the fans want and do what is profitable. Tragic, but its needed...I think.
wrote:If Fedor waltzes in and beats Brock it suddenly lends credence to the argument that maybe the UFC doesn't have the world's best fighters and gives others hope if they wish to compete. Perception is reality, and Brock Lesnar is considered the best heavyweight in the world by the largest portion of fans. Fedor coming in and stomping him down would not boost Fedor to Brock levels but rather take everything down a notch and cause fans to question the validity of every other champion.

The only way this becomes a win for the UFC is if Brock were to defeat Fedor, and the only win this gives Dana is the last word over all of the mouth breathers who have railed on about how Fedor is the best in the world. They would no longer be able to claim as such, Dana could without a doubt declare the best heavyweight in the world is the UFC champ and yet this would do very little to make his company any more money than that which they are making as it stands. Hardcore fans will tell you that Fedor vs. Brock is a dream match and they are correct. They will also tell you it would be the biggest box office draw ever but they would only be partly correct.
Full article here: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish ... 2969.shtml

Its terrible, but the "perception is reality" bit is true. I never paid much attention until recently, but the UFC ads act as if there is no other MMA organization. UFC has some of the best fighters, but whether or not they have THE best is arguable...

This little thing M-1, DREAM and Strikeforce have going will be nice (especially since the fights SHOULD air on Showtime. Now, only if I got Showtime...:() but the more and more publicity they get, the more UFC is going to pump up their advertisement campaign. Eventually, I think they will come to the same end as the others and Fedor will be left with either coming to the UFC on a MUCH lower payroll than he could have or be forced to go into some backwoods organization.

I'm by no means trying to start a Dana White bashing contest, because he really has brought UFC to the public and he has done a very good job of it. Granted he does some under-handed things quite often, but thats how businesses go. The choir boys won't make it.