Re: MMA Discussion

They had the best womens division. UFC has been very reluctant in putting womens matches front and center, preferring to make them more of a sideshow. I am in no way a feminist, in fact i'm male, but EliteXC had a few tough women. As far as the star-quality was concerned, no they couldn't compete with the UFC. However, let's remember that there was a time in the Gracie Brazilian jiu-jitsu days that the UFC suffered many of the same problems that sunk the EliteXC.
Death begins with life's first breath, and life begins at the touch of death.

IKICKAYOUWASSNOW wrote:They had the best womens division. UFC has been very reluctant in putting womens matches front and center, preferring to make them more of a sideshow. I am in no way a feminist, in fact i'm male, but EliteXC had a few tough women. As far as the star-quality was concerned, no they couldn't compete with the UFC. However, let's remember that there was a time in the Gracie Brazilian jiu-jitsu days that the UFC suffered many of the same problems that sunk the EliteXC.
I don't think I would really be as into the Women' division as I would the Male division. Women beating the hell out of each other just doesn't appeal to me. Maybe that's just the male ego talking, but I couldn't really find that enjoyable.

Now, men beating the hell out of each, I could care less. that's just me, though. I could honestly care less if the UFC brought in a Female division. I guess it would be good, since the female athletes would finally get some of the spotlight, but from a viewer standpoint, I wouldn't care if they ever added one as I probably wouldn't watch the fights.

I have one hell of a male ego, but I simply want to see good matches and to me it doesn't matter if someone is male or female if they can still put on good matches, people will watch. Also, this could generate more of a female audience to watch as well - adding revenue and profit into the UFC coffers
Death begins with life's first breath, and life begins at the touch of death.

IKICKAYOUWASSNOW wrote:I have one hell of a male ego, but I simply want to see good matches and to me it doesn't matter if someone is male or female if they can still put on good matches, people will watch. Also, this could generate more of a female audience to watch as well - adding revenue and profit into the UFC coffers
I doubt women would be more drawn to fighting if it were women fighting. That doesn't really make sense to me...

Popping in really quick to talk about TUF :)

All in all, it was a pretty mediocre season. Too much of it was trying to capitalize on Kimbo, really. I liked that he was there, but they should have called it "The Ultimate Fighter: Kimbo Slice" with how much they brought him up.

Disappointed that Big Baby lost, really. I liked the guy and I thought he was a good fighter. I think he's going to smash Mitrione on the Finale (Hate the guy, really. Seems like a twat.) and I can't wait to see it.

Speaking of the finale and Kimbo...Houston Alexander. Ok...Houston completely dominated Jardine. Jardine doesn't have the most orthodox stand-up, but he definitely has stand-up skills AND power. Kimbo, on the other hand, has power. No skills and he didn't really seem to learn much during the show.

Alexander, in my opinion, is going to come out and just dominate Kimbo, even worse than he did Jardine. Kimbo's only hope is that Alexander, by some miracle, just drops his hands and runs head first at him. Alexander by TKO/KO in first round, no doubt in my mind.