Re: MMA Discussion

Urweirdsaysi wrote:I've never seen a Pride fight.

Is Pride still going on? If so, what station (If it is even on TV) does it air and when? o.o
PRIDE FC was a Japanese company that was part of a larger sports/entertainment company. Rumors of Yakuza involvement had plagued them for years and the President hung himself under questionable circumstances. A Japanese newspaper reported on the Yakuza involvement and they lost their TV contract. Without their TV contract, they were unable to stay viable for very long. They eventually sold to Zuffa, the father company of the UFC. Promises to keep them intact and host an annual "World Series of MMA" with the top stars from PRIDE fighting the UFC stars fell flat and the UFC signed a few of their top stars, though losing out on many including Fedor Emelianenko. Zuffa still has all the video rights and those videos are available in many electronics/video stores.

While the UFC hosts their fights in a cage (the Octagon) and use 3 5 minutes rounds for none title fights and 5 5 minute rounds for title fights, PRIDE used a ring and had a 10 minute first round with two additional 5 minute rounds. Some of the rules were different too. PRIDE allowed knees and stomps to an opponent on the ground but did not allow elbows to a downed opponent. The UFC is modeled after the unified rules which do not allow knees or stomps to an opponent on the ground but allow for some elbows. The judging criteria was different as well.

Many MMA fans that watched both preferred the pageantry and higher production values of the PRIDE shows.

If you are going to pick up some videos of PRIDE, I would definitely recommend any involving the Grand Prix events. Particularly the Grand Prix semi-finals and finals which would take place the same night (so fighters would fight twice). My personal favorite is PRIDE FINAL CONFLICT 2005 which features the 2005 Middleweight Grand Prix (in PRIDE that is 205 lbs) semi-finals and finals as well as a match between Fedor and CroCop at the height of Cro Cop's popularity. PRIDE CRITICAL COUNTDOWN is also great, the quarterfinals from the MW GP tournament.

The FINAL CONFLICT videos are all the Tournament semi-finals and finals and the SHOCKWAVE shows were their biggest of the year. All of those are good.

"You are in a position to demand nothing. I however, am in a position to grant nothing."

Khan Noonian Singh

I am not going to put my money on this one, but I like Rashad's athleticism to be the difference. If he is going to win he is going to have to mix it up and take Machida down. No easy task. I will pick Rashad by decision. Jackson is going to have the gameplan to win.

As far as Hughes v. Serra, I want Hughes to lose so bad I can not make a logical judgement. Serra via Submission 2nd round.

"You are in a position to demand nothing. I however, am in a position to grant nothing."

Khan Noonian Singh

Sadbutrue wrote:i doubt they will be able to gameplan for Machida.
Nope...great win for Machida. This could be the beginning of a very long title run.

Khan Noonian Singh

Great fight, I kind actually picked Machida to win the 2nd or 3rd round (I believe it finished the end of the second, too :P) but I was kind of hoping Rashad would pull through with it. Both outstanding fighters, but the difference (IMO) was that Machida is just so unorthodox that you just can't prepare for him. Rashad basically had to go into the fight blind.

Great finish by Machida and Rashad did an amazing job of trying to stay in the fight (I thought he was gonna get back up and keep going for a moment).
Khan wrote:
Sadbutrue wrote:i doubt they will be able to gameplan for Machida.
Nope...great win for Machida. This could be the beginning of a very long title run.
I agree. I don't think anyone will be beating Machida any time soon. Like I said, he is just way too different than most fighters and you can't train for him. And his strikes are crazy. I think the only way anyone will be beating him is if they can SOMEHOW get on on his back and keep him there. Maybe we can get Lesnar to drop a few pounds and just sit on him for 5 rounds :roll:

And no, I don't like Lesnar. He just lays on people for 25 minutes.

Lesnar has not gone to decision yet... also he would have to drop 80lb to fight at lhw

i think that the rampage fight could be interesting and if shogun can get a good run going he could possibly be able to get Machida but not likely. I was rooting for machida forever i never doubted him. He will be p4p #1 soon
You can't stop me I'm on a boat!