If you cannot find the answer you seek here, use the Help forums.
Feel free to contribute to each post with verified data.

ZE Bite-Size

Alright, so this is going to be a long drawn out basic guide for starting Zorg Empire.
I will try to break it down into bite-sized pieces.
If I liked your tutorial, or at least part of it, I may include it, so be warned.
I can't guarantee this is all accurate. We are all noobs.
This is not intended to be a complete walkthrough, which would be impossible for this game, but rather a starting guide to familiarize players with the basics/intermidiate material.
I tried my best, and am trying to get this moved to player's guide.

CH1= THE RESOURCES- These are 3 main building resources in this game. They are Metal, crystal, and deuterium. Each has it's individual use, and place in the game.

Metal= The "most abundant" resource, metal is used in shipbuilding/defenses/and certain reseacrhes. It is mainly what buildings are made of too.
Crystal= A more minor ingredient, crystal is also used in a lot of stuff.
Deuterium= Think of this as fuel. It is used for research on engines, and as fuel for your ships.

MINES= All 3 of these are obtained from mines (metal mine, crystal mine, deuterium synthesiser.)

For a detailed guide on the best way to start out, check this link: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8653

CH2= Buildings

Metal mine- Produces metal, uses energy.
Crystal mine- Produces crystal, uses energy.
Deuterium synthesiser- Produces deut (abbv. for deuterium), uses energy.
Solar Plant- Produces energy.
Fusion reactor-needs synthesiser lvl5 and energy tech level 3= Produces energy AND USES A SMALL # OF DEUT!
Robot Factory- Lowers build times
Ship Yard-needs Robot Factory lv2- Used to build all ships and defenses.
Nanite Factory-(expensive)-needs Robot fact level 10, Computer tech 10-halves production time of everything
Metal Storage- Provides bonus space to store metal (useful)
Crystal storage- self-explanatory
Deut tank- Look above
Research Lab- needed for any and all research. See below for explanation of researches.
ACS Depot- Lets you be defended by your friends, or launch a team attack.
Missile Silo- Lets you build/store missiles
Terraformer- Gives you more spac to build buildings on (your home planet starts out with 200.)
Lunar Base-MUST be built on a moon- Same as above, just on a moon (starts with one building slot)
Sensor Phalanx-MUST be built on moon- Lets you spy on enemy fleet movements (I don't use it too much.)
Jump Gate-MUST be built on moon- Lets you teleport ships from one Jump Gate to another. (VERY USEFUL note: resources CANNOT be transported)

CH3= Research

This is done from the research screen, you need at least lvl1 research lab to research anything, and higher for certain ones.

level 1-
Computer tech- Gives you more slots to launch fleets in (VERY USEFUL)
Energy tech- Used mainly for unlocking other techs. Also increases efficiency of Fusion Reactor (I think.)
Combustion Engine-ENERGY TECH 1 NEEDED- Used for the most simple ship designs. Increases the speed of those ships (Small cargo, Large cargo, Light Fighter, recycler, espionage ship.)
Laser technology-USELESS AFTER LEVEL 12- USed to unlock ships/researches/defenses

level 2-
Armor tech- Used for ships to upgrade their defenses. Quite useful.
Impulse engine-ENERGY TECH 1 NEEDED- Intermidiate engine type, used for heavy fighter, cruiser, Colony ship, Bomber, elite cargo.

level 3-
Espionage tech- Used to get info on enemy planets. Nessecary to build espionage ships.
Expedition tech-(A LITTLE USELESS)- Required to send expeditions. To send one, send a fleet to planet slot 16.

level 4-
Weapons- Increases attack of all ships by 10%
Ion- Nessecary to build ships/defenses using this. (crusiers, Ion cannons)

level 5-
Plasma tech- Needed to build ships/defenses that use this (bomber, plasma cannon)

level 6-
Shield tech- Increases shield power of all ships/defenses by 10%

level 7-
Hyperspace tech- Nessecary for certain ships, and the hyperspace engine.
Hyperspace engine- Used in advanced ship types (battleship, destroyer, death star, Battlecrusiser, Lunar guardian.)

level 8-9-
-

level 10-
IGRN- Lets research labs collab, and decrease research times.

level 11-
-

level 12-
Gravitron tech- Needed to build death stars and LG's

level 13-14
-

level 15
Zorg Physics- Needed to build death stars and LG's. Some stuff has been suggested for the future.

CH4= Ships

All ships are built using the ship yard, which is a good investment btw. The level of Shipyard nessecary is the "level"

level 1-
Solar satellites- (SS, or Solar sats) Produce a small amount of energy depending on the temperature of your planet. (hotter=better) Mass destroyed every time you're attacked. Nessecary to get gravitron techs lvl 1 and 2.
Light fighter-(LF) Cheapest fighting ship. Useful at first, and against small targets. Otherwise, just cannon fodder.

level 2-
Small cargo ships-(SCS) hold 5000 resources. Useless after LCS are unlocked

level 3-
heavy fighter- (HVY F or HF) useless after crusisers are unlocked IMO.
Espionage ships-(SPY) Allow you to spy on enemy planets, and see their ships/defenses/mines/resources/reinforcements/buildings. Useful for every player in the game.

level 4-
large cargo ship (LCS) useful for raids on small players. Hold 25,000 resources. Can be used by begginners to transport resources.
Colony ship- Used to get another planet. Send one to a blank planet spot, without any resources in hold. The ship will be destroyed in the process.
recycler- used to pick up metal and crystal from a DF (see below)

level 5-
Cruisers- Used to destroy Fighters in massive #s. I don't build them anymore.

level 6-
-

level 7-
Battleship- solid fighting ships.
Elite Cargo- Its elite at carrying stuff; holds 10 million resources. Used in trade/transports/large scale raids.

level 8-
bomber- Especially good against defenses (not so much ships)
battlecruiser- Bonus against ships (not so much defenses). The fighting man's ship. Many players will raid with these (due to fuel effeiciency) and and Elite cargo.

level 9-
Destroyer- Destroys stuff. Quite slow, and expensive to fuel, but still great at destroying stuff. Will always have a special place in my heart.

level 10-11
-

level 12
Death star- Large, expensive, extremely slow, Massive, and fearsome. It can destroy Moons (only in large swarms, also depends on the size of the moon) and is supreme lord of all ships everywhere. It is (due to it's extreme slowness) used in fleetsaving. The best weapon against it is the Lunar Guardian (not good enough though *cough game imbalance cough*...)

level 13-14
-

level 15-
Lunar guardian- Not THAT expensive to build, they provide a good defense against death stars. They are notoriously hard to unlock. From what I can tell, 45 have a 50/50 shot at stopping one death star, which is actually a pretty good deal.

Ch5= defenses

Also built with the shipyard. have a 70% chance of not getting permanently destroyed after a battle (compared to 0% with ships)

level 1-
Rocket launcher- Cheap, no crystal/deut involved. Quick to build. The newbies/playerwithlotsametal's defense
small shield dome- You can only build one. Do so.

level 2-
Light laser- Also quite cheap.

level 3-
-

level 4-
Heavy laser
Ion Cannon

level 5-
-

level 6-
Gauss cannon- decent defense
Large shield dome- You can only build one. Do so.

level 7-
-

level 8-
Plasma cannon- Best defense out there.

CH 5.1= Missiles

Not sure if they should be classified as a defense, but...

ABMS- MISSILE SILO 2 NEEDED- Each one is defense against one IPM.
IPM- MISSILE SILO 4 NEEDED- Can be launched at enemy planets. Great at destroying Defenses. See below for maximum range calculator.

range in systems of IPM (in systems)= 1+(Impulse engine level*5)

CH6= Playing styles

There are several styles of play that are used (or combinations of styles) that form a basic strategy for game play.

Miner- A Miner relies on building resource mines and synthesizers as the player’s primary source of point generation.

DEFENSE: Small to moderate. Typically relies on a cargo fleet to fleet save and shuttle resources from one planet to another.

FLEET: Minimal offensive capability. Usually a large transport fleet with a small contingent of recycler ships.

ADVANTAGES: Good for players who do not want to invest a lot of time in maintaining their empire’s fleets and defenses. Buildings can not be destroyed by attacks. Methodical way of steadily gaining points.

DISADVANTAGES: Requires some fleet saving skills and the ability to manage resource between planets. Without some defenses, daily production can be farmed by other players. Not a fast way to make points overall. Some Deuterium consumed in fleet saving/ transport.

Turtle- An extreme form of Miner that relies on heavy defenses to protect resources.

DEFENSE: Very large (to the point of what some consider extreme).

FLEET: Virtually none.

ADVANTAGES; Very little maintenance required. Fleet saving is almost non-existent. Good for players who do not have a large amount of time to invest in daily game play. Virtually no Deuterium consumed in fleet saving or transport. Slow but steady points gains.

DISADVANTAGES: Good portion of resources spent on defenses. Regardless of the amount of defenses, some alliances and individuals take pleasure in finding and destroying turtles- wasting great amounts of resources to reduce the Turtle’s defenses as a hobby.

Fleeter- A Fleeter relies primarily on attacking other player’s planets and/or fleets to gain points.

DEFENSE: Small.

FLEET: Large contingent of offensive ships and recyclers.

ADVANTAGES: One of the fastest ways to gain points. Majority of Top Ranked players are Fleeters. Challenges players who like to hunt and be active in the game.

DISADVANTAGES: One of the quickest ways to lose points. Fleeters hunt each other and a lost fleet means lost revenue. Deuterium consumption can be extreme. Requires a large investment of time in managing the player’s empire and fleet saving.

Raider- A Raider is a player who combines the playing styles of the Miner and the Fleeter, making small attacks against planets and/or fleets yet investing in mines and synthesizers to supplement their empire.

DEFENSE: Small to moderate.

FLEET: Even mix of offensive and transport ships.

ADVANTAGES: Stable income and less vulnerable to wide point shifts as that of the Fleeter. Allows for a moderate point growth. Smaller Deuterium consumption than the Fleeter. Mixed game play allows for a more flexible input of time.

DISADVANTGES: Fleets are vulnerable to Fleeters. Deuterium management can be an issue when resource is spent on mines and fleet saving. Requires some level of player activity to maintain empire.

CH7- FLEET MISSIONS

ATTACK- This will send the selected fleet to the target, attack it, taking up to 1/2 of the availible resources, then return with the remainder of the fleet and your winnings.

possible outcomes-
win- Your fleet MAY OR MAY NOT have suffered losses, but you have at least one ship left, and have taken some of your opponents resources. Their entire fleet and defenses were taken out. Only 30% of the defenses will be permanently destroyed. How do I protect myself from this? Covered below in CH8.
tie- Neither fleet was completely destroyed in the six combat "turns." Part of your fleet is returning. Get more firepower then try again. They still have part of their fleet, and all of their resources.
lose- Your fleet was wiped out. No survivors on your side. rebuild.

strategic applications-
Raid- You are trying to take some of their resources. That is your primary objective. There are up to 3 elements and 4 ship types of a successful raid. (discussed below)
Crash- You are trying to wreck their fleet, then pick up the DF created by it. A common usage of the phalanx is to time a crash so it occurs 1 second after their fleet returns from FS or a mission.
Moonshot- Intentionally trying to give a friendly player or one you are trading with a moon. Often done with 212 LCS/56 BS/(Ill list others later if someone wants me to.)
Suicide- You are trying to suicide a small amount of ships for a greater cause. ESPIONAGE- You can send 1 ESP probe on an epsioange mission to get their # of resources, and then suicide another on an attack mission to know their #s of defenses and fleet. SAT CRASH- You are not trying to destroy the majority of their fleet, simply their solar satellites, so you can cripple their mines and/or make a nice big DF for you to recycle. Lunar Guardians get this done well. Some alliances will do this amongst themselves after researching Grav 1&2 as a friendly application of this technique. Don't expect to get your sole LG back.

TRANSPORT- This will transport any resources loaded to the target, then return to the ssending location. You can do this to your own planets with SCS/LCS/EC, or to a weaker player's planet (a gift), or to any player as a part of a trade.

DEPLOY- This is the same as transport, except your fleet will stay at the target, so it is a way of transporting both ships AND resources.

ESPIONAGE- Will gather intel on the target, then return home. The amount of intel gained depends on the # of probes you send, your esp tech level, and (I think) the target's esp tech level (inversely)

RECYCLE- Used to pick up a DF. Must be done with recycler(s) Has fleetsaving applications as well as a way to make a profit. You can clean up your DF or someone elses, you just have to get to it first :)

ACS DEFEND- Used to defend the target planet for the set # of hours, engaging any attacking fleets then return to the sending point. Can be done to a friendly player or your own planet. THE DEFENDEE MUST HAVE LVL 1 ACS DEPOT AT THE TARGET!!!

ACS ATTACK- The good ole team attack. The sender must have the ACS depot level corresponding to the # of participating fleets at the sending location (including yourself idiot...) The participants must have level 2 depot, and be able to get to the attack target in time. The fleets (through some magic) meet up in midair and hit the target.

MOON DESTROY- YOUR DEATH STARS WILL BE DESTROYED IF THE MOON IS NOT! Go to zorgtools.com to see the probability of you winning with a set # of death stars- Used to destroy (pop) another players moon, which is not a nice thing to do. This has the strategic application of letting you get at their fleets, because they will show up on phalanx having no moon to FS from or to. To be honest, I don't understand it completely (ask someone who does) This is the only mission I have not attempted yet. It is serious buisness. go to zorgtools.com to see how many death stars it takes for your target.

EXPEDITIONS- THESE CAN DESTROY YOUR FLEET!-Unfortunately these are fairly useless so far IMO. You have a chance of finding more resources/ships or losing your ships. Do this when you switch from LCS to EC's. Other than that... You can have the # of expedition missions out as the level of expedition tech (or comuter tech, whichever is lower)

CH8 FLEET SAVING (FS)- Taken from torguard (best guide I found)

The standard definition of fleet save is this:
a procedure used to protect your ships and resources from other players

But all too often do I see other players spout the same quotes time after time. “You should fleetsave to keep your fleet” or “Why didn’t you FS to keep your resources from being captured??”. Well, in most cases, the player did fleetsave, but was doing it incorrectly or under a phalanx sensor.

Well, this guide was created to help everybody, from the novice that just started to the more experienced players. You will learn not only how to fleetsave, but how to keep that fleet safe after an attack.

To set the stage, I categorize fleetsaves into “Tactical Fleetsaves” and “Strategic Fleetsaves”. Under each scenario, I will outline the proper procedures to keep your fleet and resources safe. Also, remember that the riskiest type of fleetsaves is to a Espionage mission and an Expedition mission. If you try to fleetsave to using either of these two missions, the odds of you losing your fleet are almost always imminent. So do not do those. You can find more information on these typical mistakes in fleetsaving here:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3441

Tactical Fleetsaves.

Under this type of fleetsave, you are being attacked by another player and you are online. Before sending your fleet and resources, always try to figure out if you can destroy the incoming fleet first. If you cannot take out the incoming attack fleet (also called a “Ninja”), you will need to perform the following procedures:

1. You can try to reason with the attacker that you are online, and more often than not the attacker will recall. Don’t send hate mail because this will entice the attacker to continue the attack and destroy your defenses, and possibly hunt you continuously. If this does not work, go to the next step.

2. If your time of attack is short, you should do one two missions. You can do a quick recycle mission to your own DF (requires at least one Recycler), ensuring your fleet returns after attack arrives. Or send your fleet and resources from your planet to moon (or moon to planet).

3. As soon as the attack is done, you should consider performing the procedures for a Strategic Fleetsave below.

4. Also, you may want to re-locate your fleet and resources to another planet/moon if you have time. (This step is recommended)

Strategic Fleetsaves.

Under this type of fleetsave, you should have plenty of time to coordinate your fleetsave mission and it should be well thought out before you send your ships and resources away. You want to have your fleet arrive back when you are online. This type of fleetsave can be any length of time you desire it to be. And if you have Death Stars, this will help lengthen the time of your fleetsave. If you perform a Recycle mission as your fleetsave strategy, you will need at least one Recycler.

1. If you want to save some resources for later or you are short on fleet storage capacity, try to put as much resources into a Research project. This will allow you to reduce the amount of resources you must carry with you when you fleetsave. Also, you can always cancel the research and return your resources later.

2. If you have a moon, then send your fleet and resources to the moon. It is always recommended that you fleetsave from a moon to another moon, which is considered a safe way to keep your fleet from being spotted. If you send your fleet from planet to planet, then your fleet can be spotted by a phalanx sensor.

3. If you do not have a moon, that is not a problem. Just don’t perform a planet to planet fleetsave.

4. Look around to find an alliance moon. Perform an ACS defend to that moon. Also ensure that the Stay time is set to 0 hours. If you set it higher than 0 hours, then your fleet becomes visible on espionage reports on the defending moon/planet and your fleet becomes vulnerable to attacks.

5. If you do not have an alliance moon nearby, you can fleetsave to an inactive moon. First check to see if that inactive planet has an ACS Depot – if it does, then you can perform an ACS Defend to the moon. Remember to set the Stay time to 0 hours. In the event that the inactive planet does not have an ACS Depot, then you can send your fleet on attack to that moon. Ensure you fleet can survive an attack against the target – you don’t want to end up losing your fleet and resources because the inactive moon had more defenses than you fleet can handle. It is best to ensure that the target moon has no defenses when fleetsaving by attack on an inactive moon.

If you follow these simple steps, you can keep your hard-earned fleet and resources safe.

Ch9- Forms of attack/gaining profit by military force

The way I see it, there are 5.
raids, crashes, ninjas, IPM attacks, and Moon destructs.

IPM's and Moon destructs are really not profitable, but they make raids and/or crashes on that target easier/possible, so all of these are profitable if used correctly and effectively.
zorgtools.com will help alot for moon destroys.
Use the battle simulator for raiding/crashing/ninjas.
IMO we really need an IPM sim. *coughcough*

RAIDS- a raid is an attack on another player's planet undertaken in order to acquire resources.
If an attack is successful, up to 50% of the resources on the target planet may be taken by the attacking fleet as plunder.
There are 3 fleets sent in a major raid. (Should be minimum of 2 for every raid... Recyclers only if your target has a fleet, so no recycling on inactive/reallyweakplayer raids.)

A. ESPIONAGE- This should be done before any raid. It lets you know everything good about the target.
1. resources- Call it off if the # is insignificant. This will be shown in every espy report.
2 fleet/defenses- Plan on sending enough attacking ships to destroy thier stuff. IF YOU DON'T SEE A FLEET/DEFENSES HEADER, SPY AGAIN! THEY MAY HAVE FLEET/DEFENSES THAT YOU AREN'T SEEING DUE TO NOT ENOUGH PROBES OR ESPY TECH. BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY!!!!!
3. Research- Not that important to note, but if they have a high weapons/armor/shield, it may be important to note, as this could affect the result of the battle.
4. Reinforcements- If this shows up, someone is doing an ACS defend to protect this player. Sometimes done by stronger players to shelter their friends/refferals/spies. If perses is defending them with 30k RIPS, CALL IT OFF! Don't go toe to toe with players like The Chosen unless you have large enough testicles. (not a sexist comment...)
B. THE ATTACK-
1. Attacking ships- If you aren't sure how many to send, send extra to be safe, or use the simulator. An inactive with 0 defenses and 0 fleet is the only target you shouldn't send attacking ships along with. (even then I usually do 1 BS or BC... Sue me...)
2. Cargoes- To cart off your resources. Send enough to cart 1/2 back... My basic formula for the # is shown below.
a. My forumla... Go ahead and laugh...- I actually wrote a program on my good ole TI84+ to do this, but It isn't for download or anything. If you want, Ill post it on ticalc.org
step 1: take the # of metal.
step 2: multiply by 1.5
step 3: divide by 5000 for SCS, 25000 for LCS or 10000000 for EC.
step 4: Always round up.
step 5: If sending 2 fleets (see tip below) multiply by 2/3. If sending 3, PM me with that target's location (LOL JK.) Divide step 4's answer by 2.
note: This may not be the BEST way, but it's my way. So go ahead and laugh now.
TIP: Download chrome browser. On the final continue button before the send fleet screen, mash it 2 or 3 times to send multiple fleets, instead of just once. Very useful on profitable targets.
C. RECYCLING- Send recyclers. Divide the expected DF by 20.000 and you're ready to roll. Send that many, and pick up their DF. It is a good idea to send this before your fleet, and time it do that it arrives right after if you are hitting an offline active player. If the DF is nonexistant/notworthmyfleetslot then don't send it.

CRASH- So you found a juicy target like Cosimo. Cosimo doesn't fleet save very well. Cosimo is a very bad boy, and he has a nice big fleet. You want his fleet. You want it bad.
requirements- A good target.
A fleet that can take out cosimo's.
Balls (not a sexist requirement. Its a figurative statement)
He didn't fleetsave
Sensor phalanx within range
Good mouse skills
Persistence
process- Spy first. Always a good practice.
Phalanx him.
If/when his fleet shows up on phalanx, ready the warships and recyclers.
Leave the phalanx window open, and try to time your warships arrival so that you hit him within 5 seconds after his fleet returns.
You can go ahead and send recyclers after that step. The 3 fleets should arrive in this order. 17:51:03- Fleetsave returns
17:51:06- Attack lands.
17:51:19 Recyclers land.
At like 17:50:50 or so, send a "safety probe" to make sure there isn't a ninja. (covered below.)
If everything works- You kill his fleet and get the DF. Good going. You successfully ignore any cries for mercy.
Whoops...- You miscalculate on the # of ships to send.
There is a ninja.
Someone else gets the DF (another member of NATW...)
You get scared and hit recall
You give into his cries for mercy.

NINJA- The anti-crash
The ninja is a tactic for ambushing an attacking fleet by concealing one's true defensive strength. The defender keeps most or all of his/her fleet near, but not at, the likely target of attack. Ordering it to arrive at the planet under attack just before the attacker's fleet. Ideally, just a few seconds before, so the attacker doesn't have a chance to recall the attacking fleet.

A ninja can be done either with your own fleet on another planet, or with a friend/alliance members fleet on ACS. Try to time it so it arrives after the safety probe is expected and before the attack.

If you can't pull it off, fleet save to your own DF or something. Just get those ships OFF your planet so they don't get wrecked.

IPM's (outgoing)- So Erebus is a turtle. You wanna crack him open and expose the creamy center with your 323 light fighters. Erebus has 323 million resources just sitting there. You want it. He also has 323 million rocket launchers (AAAHHH!) So you're screwed in this case, but lets say he has 500 rocket launchers. You want to reduce those RL's to the point where you can attack without sufferring too many losses.

Get some res to build IPMS.
Build em. If you're full of ABMS (*****) get a friend to help you out.
Launch
probe (if you want)
repeat.

The ABMS of your target will be destroyed first, but as long as you keep hitting them, and they don't replensih their ABM stock, you WILL hit their defenses eventually.
Once the defenses have reached a satisfactorily low level, commence raiding.

Moon destroy- Not something to be taken lightly, but it can take out their Phalanx, safe fleet options, and Jump gate.
When a moon is destroyed, it does not leave behind any debris field. The deathstar is the only ship that can perform this mission.
Destroying the moon will prevent the victim from performing Sensor Phalanx scans on the surrounding area, eliminating the threat to the attacking players or alliance. It will also discourage the victim from further interfering with the player or alliance that attacked him/her, as moons are somewhat difficult to obtain and develop. Moons allow you to fleetsave without having your fleet phalanxed, so moon destroying can be a good strategy if you want to make your enemy's fleet more vulnerable.
It is often done to stop crashing attempts or to shut down their FS options for an easier crash as seen above.

Use zorgtools.com the moon destroy tool.
Take the size of their moon (mouse over in galaxy view) Smaller moons are easier to destroy.
Use the 99% number.
Add a few.
Send that # of RIPS to their moon on a "destroy" mission.
The 99% plus a few is to ensure that the moon destroy is a success. If it isn't, you lose ALL of your death stars.

Believe it or not, I have not yet attempted a moon destroy. I am goin on the word of other here. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I may add a chapter or two later. any suggestions?
Ships on the ground, ships on the ground. Lookin' like a fool with your ships on the ground...