Please make sure you have checked the Players Guide thread first, before asking any questions.

Re: Colonization Questions

neoshagrath wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:38 am
Coldest I have is -98 to -58.
It mostly depends on your play style. Deuterium synthesizers are cheap but they need a lot of energy. Solar plant and Fusion reactors both loose efficiency on higher lvls (fusion at a slower rate with energy tech).
Solar sats depend on how hot your planet is and never looses efficiency. If you rarely get attacked, the higher energy yield of solar sats on a hot planet will offset the benefits of a cold planet.
Don't fusion reactors become more efficient with level regarding energy produced per deuterium? The numbers look good with investment into energy tech, say level 20 - was seeing 50 energy produced per deuterium.
[edit: ouch, just saw the cost of fusion reactors at level 15+]

Also, does everyone just end up using solar sats eventually? Don't like how they're so vulnerable.

Dendrite wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:25 pm

Don't fusion reactors become more efficient with level regarding energy produced per deuterium? The numbers look good with investment into energy tech, say level 20 - was seeing 50 energy produced per deuterium.
[edit: ouch, just saw the cost of fusion reactors at level 15+]

Also, does everyone just end up using solar sats eventually? Don't like how they're so vulnerable.
High energy tech is indeed invaluable for increasing fusion reactor efficiency.

I never used solar sats when I played X, but I use them on every server I play now. Yes, they are vulnerable, but the pay off in terms of energy for a few thousand is hard to resist, and if you're a player who is a little risky to attack, it's not such a big deal. Also, suicide lunars don't work with engine 2.1.

Think of it this way...
A lvl 34 Deuterium Synthesizer requires 208k energy
-14.5m deut per week at 20+max temp.
-15.9m deut per week at -40 max temp.

A lvl 18 Fusion reactor produces 207k energy at lvl 19 energy tech. It consumes 1.3m deuterium per week.
3k solar sats costs 150k metal, 1.5m crystal, 750k deuterium. (total cost roughly equals 1.9m deut)
-It produces 159k energy at 0 max temp. 210k energy at 25 max temp. 108k energy at -25 max temp.

So around 25 max temp, solar sats would have paid for itself on the first week or so and will start to pay out 1.3m deut per week it survives (theoretically if you shut down the fusion reactor).

----------------------------------------------
Fusion reactors' efficiency starts to go ahead of the solar sats from this point (with increased energy teh lvls) but the cost of sats also become more negligible.

Bottom line, the advantages of a colder planet ultimately depends on how long you can keep solar sats alive.
I am a liar in every debate
I rule the forces that fuel your hate

when the fire in your heart leaves and comes to an end
then quietly I'll go to sleep