Re: Music You Hate

Two words: Justin Beiber. :snooty:

A plain insult to us musicians.

PS - Corbeil,
+10 Gale Points for making me laugh so hard my family started yelling at me...asking me what was wrong. :D
_______________________Public Relations Administrator______________________

__________________A tongue of silver is worth plenty in gold._________________
[/color]

I love how every single metal song on youtube has someone post something like ' 45 justin bieber fans disliked this'

It seems Justin B. is the answer and problem to everything depending on who you are. How about we stop talking about the little toddler and let her get back to her beauty music?
Is a Man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?

In this thread, I see a lot of " I hate all ____ , with exceptions of course"

I think we can do better. All music starts somewhere, with somebody liking it enough to make the recording and put it on sale. So, almost by definition, all music is liked by someone. Why then, is there this massive hatred for some types of music? Personally, I think a lot of it has to do with the disconnect between the artist and the listener; as any musician knows, it's much more fun to play/make a song than to listen to it.
Secondly, there's the issue of complexity. As time has progressed, I see mainstream music becoming simpler and simpler. Songs are reduced to a beat or a hook repeated endlessly so that the 30 second iTunes sample or that pause when flipping through radio stations presents the best part of the song, no matter what part of the song it comes from. Now, in some ways, this is good. Though I think of myself as a musician and a fan of music, I have a very hard time absorbing symphonies with thirty or ninety different and meshing timbres and rhythms without repeat listening and good headphones. Rock, with a simple guitar, voice, bass, and drum arrangement is easier to take in, and often more pleasant as well.
I feel like I could go on forever about this, but here's the point: I like music that's interesting. If the artist truly puts their soul into a song, and takes care to make sure that every aspect is exactly right, I will like it, no matter what genre it is.
Everyone else, explain why you hate the music you hate; it's more interesting that way.
"Quem notrum ignorare arbitraris, Catalina!" --Cicero

I hate rap because it's barely music. It doesn't take the musicianship other styles do. Don't get me wrong, there are some decent rappers/songs, but on the whole, no. For example, I know people who have rapping contests with each other. And they sound just like stuff on the radio except without the electronic effects and what not. I prefer music that can't be done by anyone who has a mind to try. And for those who like it because it has a good "beat", that's just studio effects, and all music has a beat. It's just that other music has other stuff, too. Not to mention I prefer to hear about something other than how awesome the rapper is and how much action he gets and how he just can't stop the ladies from approaching him. Maybe something with a little meaning to it would be nice. And you said it right:
Maul64 wrote:If the artist truly puts their soul into a song, and takes care to make sure that every aspect is exactly right, I will like it, no matter what genre it is.
If a rapper actually sang with feeling about something with meaning, then I would probably like it better. But I have yet to see that. So, I think I'll stick to my Punk, Alt, Metal, Rock, etc music.
Forum Moderator: The Chill One ~ Gale Points: 52
The only thing standing between me and immortality is death.