Simple solutions for PC health

Try looking at these 3 simple things whenever your pc slows down:
1)Disk fragmentation (Disk defragmantation tools like Diskeeper can solve this easily)
2)Overloaded bootup (Have fewer programs run at startup)
3)Do not run intense antivirus programs, like Norton or Panda. Prefer Avast or Aviira perhaps.

If your internet runs slow, check these simple things:
1)Do not run bandwidth hogging programs. For example, never run a torrent client or a p2p client while you browse.
2)Get a lightweight browser (Chrome should be your best choice right now)
3)Keep the total number of opened tabs/windows few(or fewer). Every tab you open consumes more ram.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

A browser game like ZE, should be able to play smoothly at anyone's pc. However, the older your pc, the better choice you need to make in Operating System and Browser.

For example, I got an old Pentium IV desktop with 512MB ram, setup for my mother. I run windows XP there with Google Chrome. It runs sufficiently well. I just made sure that it loads almost minimum programs on boot (try msconfig on command prompt to easily turn such off- proceed with some care there or seek a guide on the net).

Ze runs really smoothly, even on such a machine.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Keep in mind that most of the time, the issue can be resolved through software.

If you want hardware solutions, SSDs (solid state disks - EXPENSIVE solution) have no fragmentation problems while extra ram (cheap solution) can be really helpful.

Personally, I now have an i7 laptop (2 years old), which came with 4GB default ram. At 6 months I had to add 4GB of more ram (for a total of 8gb) and at 1 year I had to setup a de-fragmentation program to run 24/7 on the machine, in order to keep the disk health at peek.

Nowadays, the disks are the bottlenecks of most pcs.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Feel free to add your suggestions/etc or ask any questions in regard.

Re: Simple solutions for PC health

Zorg wrote:Personally, I now have an i7 laptop (2 years old),
How much was that when you bought it that year?

I recommend CCleaner most of the time.
Autoruns and Autorunsc by sysinternal for more advanced users. You might be amazed by the number of non essential programs and crapware running on the background.
I am a liar in every debate
I rule the forces that fuel your hate

when the fire in your heart leaves and comes to an end
then quietly I'll go to sleep

neoshagrath wrote:
I recommend CCleaner most of the time.
Autoruns and Autorunsc by sysinternal for more advanced users. You might be amazed by the number of non essential programs and crapware running on the background.
I can certainly vouch for these recommendations. The whole entire sysinternals suite is very useful.

HiJack This, or Emsisoft's HijackFree are also very useful in determining background processes non-essential.
Ní mar a shíltear a bhítear.
Ní féidir maraigh tú an Dullahan
Níl luibh ná leigheas in aghaidh an bháis.

neoshagrath wrote:Autoruns and Autorunsc by sysinternal for more advanced users. You might be amazed by the number of non essential programs and crapware running on the background.
When I said "for more advanced users", I meant: If you don't know what the button is going to do, don't press it. :P
I am a liar in every debate
I rule the forces that fuel your hate

when the fire in your heart leaves and comes to an end
then quietly I'll go to sleep

Autoruns, Junction, and Rootkit Revealer proved very useful in helping me purge a ZeroAccess infection

Another very useful program for killing off crapware, bloatware, disabling non-essential processes, and cleaning junk files and registry entries from your system is the Wise care suite
Ní mar a shíltear a bhítear.
Ní féidir maraigh tú an Dullahan
Níl luibh ná leigheas in aghaidh an bháis.