War Rules for mercs

The rules for mercenary actions applying towards the total damage count in a war are a little vague on a couple of issues. I would like to see an amendment to the rules that clearly answered the following:

Scenario:
Alliance A and Alliance B are at war. Merc A is a mercenary for Alliance A, and Merc B is a mercenary for alliance B.

The rules clearly state that if either mercenary attacks the opposing alliance, TD can be added to the war. However, the rules do not explicitly state if TD could be applied to the war if-

1) A person from Alliance A attacks Merc B.
2) Merc A attacks Merc B.

I think it is obvious in case 1 that TD should be applied to the war tally, but this is not made clear in the rules. The rules do not address in any way case 2, and I think it should be debated within the community whether or not TD from this fight would be counted towards the war. I feel personally that if case 1 is allowed, then case 2 should also be allowed, but I can see both points of view on case 2.

Is there any precedent for these cases that I missed in my search of this forum, or is this something that should be cleared up in the rules?

Re: War Rules for mercs

We are now witnessing the second war in a row where the declaring party is utterly incapable of conducting the war, and relies heavily on mercs to conduct the war and run up the total damage score. The defending alliance is not able to hire mercs to attack the declaring party's mercs and even the score. They are not even allowed to attack the mercs themselves and add that damage. It is ridiculous that any moron in player protection can declare a war, hire stronger players as mercs, and escape the consequences of his actions because he remains in player protection. I think either a revision is warranted of the requirements for war and merc declaration or a revision allowing damage from battles involving a merc as defender should be allowed to count towards TD.

In my eyes, a mercenary is not just a person that is allowed to attack for an alliance, but is under the temporary employment of that alliance, and should be subject to the same consequences of fighting in a war that the hiring alliance is subject to. Mercenaries hiding behind a player in player protection is ludicrous. Mercenaries hiding behind an alliance so weak that there's nothing to be destroyed is likewise ludicrous.

I too, agree with Shaftoe. The rules should be amended to address this issue.

The mercs too must be eligible for bashing same as the alliance for which they are employed and the damage counted.
In effect the mercs become part of the warring alliances.

Helm wrote:I too, agree with Shaftoe. The rules should be amended to address this issue.

The mercs too must be eligible for bashing same as the alliance for which they are employed and the damage counted.
In effect the mercs become part of the warring alliances.
-Whilst mercenaries work with the participants during war time, they may NOT exceed the bashing limit of 5 hits per planet or moon per 24 hour period.
so warring alliance still cannot attack mercs more than 5 times per planet per 24 hours right?