Re: asymmetric warfare(surviving an alien invasion)

i like the above senario, but we can rule out mining. If i was in search of minerals through out space, im not going to pick a planet that im going to have a lot of problems with. Mars is close and the astroid belt had tons of minerals. unless we believe that we have some special mineral that cant be found anywhere else. So if they are invading it would be for population enslavement or food.
that eliminates the ozone destruction as you dont want to take out your food supply.
if its for population enslavement, you first send in a hidden small fleet to a remote area where you can take a city or some small area for the testing to see if the population will work.
if it will work for your needs, you can then test how to best neutralize that population. if you want the planet as a farming planet to keep the populations for future use, then you just threaten to destroy the entire planet unless they give up the population. stay in space and let the earth governments round up the people for you. easy pleasy lemon squezy

as for how we would defend.
short term, we lose
long term, we are very adaptive and creative we will find a way.

true stempf
if they really are going to mine us, they will probably to extract specimens for their 'research' so they would not destroy everything in earth.
supposing their technology is on par with us, well win cause we have the advantage of already settling here and such
also if they are from another plant they might have evolved to breath methane or something that has low concentrations on earth. that is their weakness...like avatar i guess...they went to mine the res but without the masks, they would die in minutes
if they use any mind control stuff, well probably be screwed unless someone has a mutation or something like ADHD or whatever that sets their mind apart from others so they might be able to resist
if they are robotic, as in they moved their consiousness into a machine, you cut off their energy source and they will eventually get screwed
if they are microscopic, well all probably die from them unless we get a select few to hide somewhere isolated as everyone else dies so they can recreate humanity
if they secretly controlled a government and then use them to attack the world to distract us then we would be pretty screwed. world war 3 will ruin most of the worlds economy and then the aliens can come and easily conquer us
they will probably be researching and learning our habits for some time before the invasion so we have a chance of warning
thats my word for ya :)

If an Alien Race was to Invade Earth... They would be aiming to take the Planet permanently..
most likely their First Strikes would be against ALL Major Cities..Industrial Infrastructure..Military Base etc.
Since their Goal is to possess an Inhabitable Planet..more than likely the Weapons used would be capable of Killing us...while causing no lasting effects on the Ecosystem (ala Neutron Bomb or Biological Agents).
Our only logical Defense would be to show the ability and willingness to make them know.. If we are to be
Exterminated... we will take the Planet with us... Massive Nuclear Detonations...possibly setting off the massive
Caldera's we know of.... faced with the knowledge that They have traveled so far for nothing...perhaps They would either leave... or consider a more Peaceful means to attain their Objectives.
While our Sci-Fi writers always make it look like we can fight and win.... I seriously doubt in Reality..we would stand a chance... History has already proven here..The Superior Technologies of one Civilization..spells Doom to lesser advanced Civilizations If Humanity were to survive.. more likely we would be to Them..as Rats are to us..
a Pest to be controlled and killed as a nuisance. :shock:
MY KARMA RAN OVER YOUR DOGMA

MASTERS OF CHAOS-Extreme

the hardest part about planning a defense is a true reason for the attack in the first place. The universe is huge. Its not like they are coming from mars. You have the tech to travel between the starts, you probably are no longer a war like society. We only think of invasion because we are still a war like society and we project that to every one else. If i could travel the stars, I could not fathom a reason to take out another civilization. Study it sure, but not invade it.

I have to say, a discussion thread like this is very engrossing. My analysis is:
Fact: It takes a Jupiter-level mass (turn all of that into energy) to keep a wormhole open. Therefore, the aliens would NOT have any form of individual teleportation device, so they cannot take us over by teleporting all over the place and dividing our forces, which means that we still have the geographical advantage, even if they did do their homework.
Second, we probably would detect their prescence before they start the invasion, even if they do so immediately. The problem with cloaking spacecraft is that you just can't cloak the heat that comes out of the spacecraft, so that will likely be ruled out. Besides, if they were to use a wormhole, the Jupiter-sized energy (mind this, it will actually have to be negative energy, energy that pushes things away, in order for the wormhole to not collapse in moments) would be immediately detected. Therefore, the theory that they are among us is somewhat unlikely (provide any counter-examples if you know anything of the contrary, please).
Third, if they did do their homework before invasion, they would probably know our weakness: We depend on mines and our fossil fuels. Therefore, they are likely to have our oil drills and various mines as one of the zero-day targets.
Fourth, they might exploit our nations' differences. I will not examine the possibility that they turn us against each other, as I am not well equipped to analyze that. However, they might take out countries that export oil (Such as Saudi Arabia), and countries that export weapons (Such as Israel), and then countries that manufacture various products (Such as China). If this happens, that means the Eastern Hemisphere is divided: Europe and Russia to the north of the occupied territory, Africa to the South-West, and Australia and Oceania to the South-East. They might focus on Africa first, as Europe and Russia, on the surface, seem more threatening and Australia and Oceania require too much island-jumping to conquer. That is all I will say, as I don't know whether further predictions can be accurate.
I would say that they lesser known ground/air-to-space missiles will be crucial in stopping this invasion. Not many countries have any, so if we were alerted of the aliens' presence, our first space objective will be to make these missiles. Second one is our Air Forces: If we can't stop them in space, we must stop them as they're landing. Any other preparations would take the form of the heaviest anti-everything defense humankind can ever see and muster. As for anything else, take the words of Winston Churchill:
"...whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender..."
Member of Allied Habitable Space

First of all hi all and no im not back just peaking

well to stay on topic
1) Find out why they would want to kill us ... perhaps we can offer them that with no blood share
2) Go underground
3) High power nukes at a few miles above the earth and as many as you can find

no 3 would insure that life would be incredibly hard for them and we would have the advantage of underground bases

4)Stay low for as much as possible once they think we are dead they will reduce security and all that and we can have a counterstrike.

another option is this- (suicidal) we detonate the sun

we add enough power to the sun so it explodes during this process taking out the entire system

I highly recommend pissing yourself followed by a course of praying to your impotent god.

Yes, detonating energy the size of the sun is very devastating, but then again, the sun has been doing energy reactions we can't even begin to approach for 5 billion years. Also, it might not be a scenario where the aliens gather their entire race and move from planet to planet. If they have more colonized planets (Like us here in Zorg Empire), just taking out an entire solar system won't be enough. We need to survive until we find something they hold dear, like our oil drills.

first of all like many of you have said we should find out why they are attacking
what we can do to defend ourselves and what plan should we take to stop them take Mass Effect 3 for example (idk if you have played it) but the reapers invaded earth mainly to destroy their species and take "Harvest" them to make other Reapers if the aliens are anything like that and they find the human race as a significant enough race to take over they will (considering this could however be in the future) there may be other species we have discovered in that peticular case they will only destroy the species they find interesting or threatening and leave the littler ones to survive and unless we can find a strong enough weapon or a "super weapon" to destroy them we will simply lose and be destroyed now if we unite said species we have a little better chance of survival even tho the possibilities are low now in a case where we havent found any other species....well...it doesnt turn out so well and we will become extinct

In that case, if they were like viruses that need other living organisms to reproduce, we should just attach a bomb to every person living in an at-risk area, and if they control us towards their ship, we detonate as we get in; if they try to eat us inividually, the person detonates themself as soon as they're about to die.
Because every attack has a weakness.

God_of_Death wrote:First of all hi all and no im not back just peaking

well to stay on topic
1) Find out why they would want to kill us ... perhaps we can offer them that with no blood share
2) Go underground
3) High power nukes at a few miles above the earth and as many as you can find

no 3 would insure that life would be incredibly hard for them and we would have the advantage of underground bases

4)Stay low for as much as possible once they think we are dead they will reduce security and all that and we can have a counterstrike.

another option is this- (suicidal) we detonate the sun

we add enough power to the sun so it explodes during this process taking out the entire system
#3 would result in a Fallout type world due to massive surface radiation, so we would be underground for so long they would either figure out how to reach us or they would eventually just leave. It would take at the very least a few centuries for all that radiation to die off enough to where we can surface again. Plus there is only so much usable space underground, there is no way we could fit all the survivors in underground bases and survive there long enough unless some sort of technology is developed that allows us to grow crops underground. Also, what happens if the nuclear strike fails? Then we're hosed no matter what, especially if they leave part of their forces behind to watch for us, similar to the Beastmen in Gurren Laggan.
20 GP
The Trouble Maker
As Swift as the Wind that carries the Sand comes your DEATH

Omega Class Thank You to Devola/Gale for this super amazing sig.