Re: Regarding Bans / Chain of Administration

Bump

Personally, I think this should be more strict. 12 rule violations for a permanent ban? Come on that's like saying a person could commit 11 murders before going to jail for life.

3 clear-cut rule violations should equal a permanent ban IMO.

harryballsac wrote:Bump

Personally, I think this should be more strict. 12 rule violations for a permanent ban? Come on that's like saying a person could commit 11 murders before going to jail for life.

if we go around slapping permanent bans on people the first time they earn one, we are going to lose a great deal of people and instead of others respecting the moderators/admins, they will just make it a point to harass us and complain about moderation being too strict. Thus, first time bans being permanent will fail to serve the purpose of a first-time ban, which is to get the person's attention and try to make it clear that continuing with violations will result in longer bans.

If someone tries to dodge a ban by making a new account, then that just gets them permanently banned anyways, so the ban system is fine. You're always going to have rule violations, that's just human nature.

Plus if you read the ENTIRE post, you would have seen that in some cases a permanent ban will be issued to begin with.
20 GP
The Trouble Maker
As Swift as the Wind that carries the Sand comes your DEATH

Omega Class Thank You to Devola/Gale for this super amazing sig.

Desert_Reaper wrote:
harryballsac wrote:Bump

if we go around slapping permanent bans on people the first time they earn one, we are going to lose a great deal of people and instead of others respecting the moderators/admins, they will just make it a point to harass us and complain about moderation being too strict. Thus, first time bans being permanent will fail to serve the purpose of a first-time ban, which is to get the person's attention and try to make it clear that continuing with violations will result in longer bans.

If someone tries to dodge a ban by making a new account, then that just gets them permanently banned anyways, so the ban system is fine. You're always going to have rule violations, that's just human nature.

Plus if you read the ENTIRE post, you would have seen that in some cases a permanent ban will be issued to begin with.
you should take your own advice and read my post in its entirety, because I never suggested one warning equal a permanent ban.

First violation= 1 week ban
Second violation= 1 month ban
Third violation= permanent ban

12 violations is far too much, and there is no real incentive for violators to stop violating.

Ok, so the first violation gets a 1 week ban. That means a newbie or someone who doesn't understand english very well gets a 1 week ban for their first violation, when they may not have even known they were breaking a rule.

How is that going to help anything?
20 GP
The Trouble Maker

Hmm.... Take the average of 3 and 12, which is 7.5. I propose a compromise of 8 bans for a permanent ban. However, we would need to first make sure there isn't any type of language or other barrier that could raise the amount of bans.
Member of Allied Habitable Space

Desert_Reaper wrote:Ok, so the first violation gets a 1 week ban. That means a newbie or someone who doesn't understand english very well gets a 1 week ban for their first violation, when they may not have even known they were breaking a rule.

perhaps we can assign players to properly translate the rules for new players speaking other languages. Clearly admin will have final say in these matters and can be lenient wherever it sees fit.

Modify the ban system

harryballsac wrote:
Desert_Reaper wrote:Ok, so the first violation gets a 1 week ban. That means a newbie or someone who doesn't understand english very well gets a 1 week ban for their first violation, when they may not have even known they were breaking a rule.

perhaps we can assign players to properly translate the rules for new players speaking other languages. Clearly admin will have final say in these matters and can be lenient wherever it sees fit.
2 problems. 1. they could get the 1 week ban before anyone can translate the rules 2. Zorg is the only active admin on the forums atm and he is constantly busy (which is why moderators exist lol)
20 GP
The Trouble Maker

I admit my idea is far from perfect, and there would be problems that need addressed. I really just wanted to get players discussing this subject and hopefully get admins attention because the current system isn't working very well.

Honestly I had no idea a player would have to violate the rules 12 times which is a point made by you guys that perhaps some players wouldn't be informed adequately and could be banned just for not understanding the rules. Like I said, I just would like to see this subject discussed and hopefully improve the banning process.