Re: Generals Tournament III - August - Release Notes

This should be interesting, gonna drag my fossilised *** back to the game for this round and have a little fun.

Though if you're looking for some feedback I have a few opinions to share, firstly it's probably best to completely remove the defense general option since it's entirely impossible for one to win going the "turtle" route (looking at the previous two tournament leaderboards tells you all you need to know). Another general can just repeatedly smash himself against a turtle's defenses in order to artificially reduce the turtle's point total and knock them out of the winning spots, there's nothing the turtle can do to stop this except overpower the attacker with more defense (which again is almost impossible against determined attackers).

The raid general is okay but really only shines in the early game when you are hurting for fleet slots, later on there is nothing it can do that the Mine/Fleet generals can't also do just as well, the deut reduction is kind of nice but isn't a big impact on a month long universe, and the unique ship is irrelevant in the bigger picture. The fleet general is much better than the raider and accomplishes basically the same thing, will get a slower but stronger early game, with it's midgame being very powerful due to the combination of increased techs and reduced deut cost, the tech increase will have a much smaller impact the later you get into the game but for a 1 month universe it seems adequate, again though the unique ship is basically irrelevant in the overall gameplay.

Overall the Mining general seems to have the most powerful bonuses by a fair margin where the overall game is concerned, early game they might be a bit weaker than the others (but can hide themselves from early raiders with the bunker, which is useful and provides safe building points), the later they get into the game the stronger their bonus becomes, being by far the strongest at the end game. The miner can also raid just as effectively as any of the other generals whilst dumping all their income into safe points.

Just some thoughts from an old player!
When people ask me plz because it's shorter than please, i feel inclined to respond no because it's shorter than yes...

All generals are favoring specific playing styles, so removing any general is NOT an option. We can only strengthen or weaken generals.

For examples, for Tournament 2, both Mine General (with reduced resource generation) and Fleet General (with Predator weakening) were weakened. At the same time, we fixed the issue with planet energy (which rendered Raider early game flawed in 1st universe) which directly empowered Raid General.

Still, most players picked fleet General. There is nothing bad at this but this does not mean that it is a General issue. The player has the most important role after all. Then, there is teamplay (alliances). Two tournaments in a row and the game was dominated by the same alliance.

Zorg wrote:All generals are favoring specific playing styles, so removing any general is NOT an option. We can only strengthen or weaken generals.

For examples, for Tournament 2, both Mine General (with reduced resource generation) and Fleet General (with Predator weakening) were weakened. At the same time, we fixed the issue with planet energy (which rendered Raider early game flawed in 1st universe) which directly empowered Raid General.

Still, most players picked fleet General. There is nothing bad at this but this does not mean that it is a General issue. The player has the most important role after all. Then, there is teamplay (alliances). Two tournaments in a row and the game was dominated by the same alliance.
For me, Defense General is useless, because it could be easily bashed by 3 or 4 guys with average fleet. The others can be used for almost any play style.

About the same alliance winning - the first "Pirates" were mostly gathered inside Generals, with Crusher (founder and leader). In the second round, I took the lead, and we had a pre-selected team (although only half of them finished). The final name was chosen after a vote, about a week before the end.

What I saw during both runs of those tourneys - almost no one was starting with a tactic, for a fixed time universe, most were playing builds and tactics more suitable for a long-term universe.

During the second tourney, I started with a broad idea, and built it "on-the-fly". My humble advice for everyone wanting to get into top 10:

- choose a tactic before starting.
- plan in advance almost every action, that you'll take (e.g. levels of your mines/ researches/ fleet composition & size/ viable defense, without wasting any resources).
- plan for the time, you're going to be able to be online (e.g. for 1 hour/day - it's useless to get Fleeter / Raider. for 10 hours/day - it's useless to be Defender / Miner).
- everything should be cost-efficient.
- act dumb, but play smart. Letting someone get few small fleets, and then ninja-ing their main attack will prove more valuable long term, than saving few ships.
- TEAMPLAY!!! You can't do it alone.

Note: I'll post the full walk-through my build (from deciding what to do, to the last second of the round).
All you need is a SickMind and a healty body.