Re: Boost strategy

Weresloth wrote:Maybe if you create race specific ships, you should be able to choose which race you want to be for each individual colony?
I'm really liking this idea. There could be a few races to pick from, we still keep the basic lot of everything (ships, def, research, build, etc), but we get a few extras (like 2+) of each that are based on what race we are (and ships that you cannot find on expeditions).

However, I think it'd make it a lot less complicated if we just had ONE race - the same on every planet. I mean..technically, the planet that you start off with colonizing every other planet that you have; so wouldn't that make sense anyway? It'd also make it a lot easier to classify someone. Example: "TGE is a (race type), WS is a (race type 2), and Ista is a (race type 3)."

Thoughts?
Last edited by Lightning on Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_______________________Public Relations Administrator______________________

__________________A tongue of silver is worth plenty in gold._________________
[/color]

any good artists on here that want to take a shot at drawing a "racial" figure that would maybe give some insight to thier bonuses, like a mongoose type figure for fleeters and an turtle/armadillo style for miners/turtles :) Just ideas that might help progress the game suggestion.

adressor wrote:any good artists on here that want to take a shot at drawing a "racial" figure that would maybe give some insight to thier bonuses, like a mongoose type figure for fleeters and an turtle/armadillo style for miners/turtles :) Just ideas that might help progress the game suggestion.
Request granted. I didn't make these but they are fitting
Fleeter:
Turtle:
Miner:

Gale wrote:
Weresloth wrote:Maybe if you create race specific ships, you should be able to choose which race you want to be for each individual colony?
I'm really liking this idea. There could be a few races to pick from, we still keep the basic lot of everything (ships, def, research, build, etc), but we get a few extras (like 2+) of each that are based on what race we are (and ships that you cannot find on expeditions).

However, I think it'd make it a lot less complicated if we just had ONE race - the same on every planet. I mean..technically, the planet that you start off with colonizing every other planet that you have; so wouldn't that make sense anyway? It'd also make it a lot easier to classify someone. Example: "TGE is a (race type), WS is a (race type 2), and Ista is a (race type 3)."

Thoughts?
Adding more elements is good. I prefer the concept of different races to governments if forced to choose one. The idea of different governments is good too and adds an interesting layer, but I think different races is a stronger concept. It makes more sense that different races would have distinct benefits, unique ships and possibly technology.

The idea of the NATIVE race on each planet being different is also an excellent idea. As I mentioned in a previous post, hopefully the first few will be a prototype for more in the future, but Zorg raises an important concern and that is one of maintaining game balance. The benefits of each race needs to be carefully considered.

Perhaps in the shorter term, there would be three primary races, but a number of non-player races that could be the NATIVE population for each planet. Just as temperature and planet size are determined randomly, but are important in determining the long term viability of a planet, the benefits and/or drawbacks of a native population could be too. Outside of the home world, which should obviously be of the race chosen initially by the player, I think the native races should be randomly generated.

Some native planets may produce better warriors to boost combat or may be fastidious workers and produce more minerals or build faster ships. With the introduction of governments, some populations could be restless and others more compliant. There are a myriad of possibilities, but the more possibilities and the greater distinction between them, the more interesting the game and greater the strategy.

eg: PLAYER RACE 1
AVIANS
- Known for the fierce fighting and rigid code, the Avians are an aggressive race. However, many consider non-fighting occupations as menial and do not make good miners. They have developed some cloaking technology and have advanced energy technology.
- Weapon +10 %
- Energy +10 %
- Metal Production - 10%,
- Crystal production -10%
- Deuterium production +5%
- Ship/Defensive structure production -5%
- Building production +5%
- Government stability +10%

- Specialty Ship: Cloaked Espionage probes: These probes are invisible until they hit their target. This provides the Avians with espionage information difficult for other races to acquire.

eg: NONE PLAYER RACE 1
XERUS
- This race of small mammalian creatures are hard workers and great at collecting minerals. However, they are not technologically savy which slows ship and defense production. It is a hunter-gatherer population and not highly organized.

Metal production +20%
Crystal production +10%
Deuterium production -5%
Ship/Defensive production -10 %
Building production 10%
Government stability - 10%

If governments are introduced at some point in addition to the races, the benefits or drawbacks of each could also be affected by that. Presumably each race would thrive or languish under different types of government. For example, the rigid structure of a Despotism may benefit the Avians, but be a detriment to the morale of the Xerusians. A Democracy may have the opposite effect on the respective races.

Obviously, the concepts need to be fleshed out more, but I think I expressed the general idea.

Just my opinion.

"You are in a position to demand nothing. I however, am in a position to grant nothing."

Khan Noonian Singh

Personally, I like the idea of a native race to each planet. However, being that they are native species, in my opinion anyway, I think each native race should specifically be better at mining one of the three resources

Example:

Warent

The warent race have developed their society around the idea that deuterium is the main constituency for everything good and natural, and as such have developed better ways of mining the resource.

+10% deuterium

Not a good example, but you get my point.

i like the idea of having planets be a specific races but not a whole players colonys and everything be one race that puts too much pressure on that player to make a choice and if you cant switch between races easily the game will just get frustraiting for the gamer
Blowing Away Death stars since 1993

well consider that the people who already have planets would need to get one of these races for each planet we already have. If I got a race on a highly developed planet that I didnt want, I would have to lose a ton of resources to abandon it and get the right race. I say this could be a good idea, but there should be some way it wouldn't mess up our planets already developed.