Re: Boost strategy

Thatguyeric wrote:well consider that the people who already have planets would need to get one of these races for each planet we already have. If I got a race on a highly developed planet that I didnt want, I would have to lose a ton of resources to abandon it and get the right race. I say this could be a good idea, but there should be some way it wouldn't mess up our planets already developed.
Well there is an easy work around for that.

Humans could be the default race with no penalties or bonuses attached. They could be considered the Baseline race.

If and when something like this is implemented, they could automatically make all the established planets be populated by Humans. Or if they are really enterprising, when you first login after it is implemented, it could ask if you wanted to use the Baseline/Humans or want to randomly generate a race for your existing planets, with the warning that it could affect your planet's production in a way you do not like.

"You are in a position to demand nothing. I however, am in a position to grant nothing."

Khan Noonian Singh

but still, if someone had a few undeveloped planets, they could give that player a huge advantage. I for one would love production increasing planets to the point where it would be worth it to fdelete human planets to get the miner ones. However I would lose upwards of 75k points per each planet, or 375 million resources per planet. I think it may be better just to have race completely chosen by the player. Either one overall race for the empire or 1 for each planet, but not random.

Or if the planet DF function was implemented and gave a full 100% except deut DF I would not be opposed to this.

Few players in the top 100-200 have more than 1-5 undeveloped planets.

If everyone can choose the native race of each planet, there will be no uniqueness in planet population. There will likely be a few races that serve a specific function that will be all over the place.

I think it is more interesting that if there were a super Deut producing race, it would be a huge bonus to get a planet with them as the native population as opposed to every fleeter and miner and lets face it EVERYONE have them on most of their planets.

"You are in a position to demand nothing. I however, am in a position to grant nothing."

Khan Noonian Singh

Maybe during the transition we could each pay a small fee (maybe a million metal per planet or so?) to choose what race we can be. This way we wouldnt have to rebuid all out buildings, ut it would be fair to those who can't choose. Maybe if there was a rarer race it would cost more.

I think it would be better to just have the one race/government type, which uniformly effects your entire empire. This way the choice has real implications for you, rather than being able to have a bit of everything. Changing race/ government should be possible, but expensive, perhaps as a research option, and it should increase in price each time you change.

If it were a case of being different species, I'm not sure how this change could be justified...perhaps, if you picked a race stereotype, and named the race yourself, then a genetic modification program would justify the change in stereotype (so the race is the same but its attributes have changed)

What about if you have to build a new building i.e. Government offices and after you done so, when you go into research you get a new tab i.e. Government management
and then you can research what type of government you want on the planet, but the higher the government building the more different and diverse types of government you can research but have the rewards very small and research times very long at the beginning and the same with the government building its takes maybe 500k metal 250k crys and 100k deu to build first and those resources get multiplied by x2 ever building upgrade and also in the research part you get to pick which type of government you want on that planet but, it takes a very long time to switch governments say....24hrs and the higher the level of type of government the rewards get better as you go along like i.e. level 1, Miner government, 1% increase in all resource production, level 10, Miner Government, 10% increase in production of all resources. the maybe you can have other types of government as you go up in Government building level like

Defensive Government: Decrease the amount of time it takes to build defense weapons, or decrease the resource cost

Offense Government: Decrease the amount of time/ resources needed to make ships.

Research Government: Decrease the amount of time/resources it takes to research techs.

Developing Government: Decrease the amount of time/resources it takes to building buildings

Energy Efficient: Increase energy per fusinon reactor, Solar Satellites, solar Satellites station bye 100/ increase every level

Exploration government: Decrease time it takes to go from one planet to another.

Theses are just ideas and they increase in effect every level. Hope ye like it!

-Sheperd
Blowing Away Death stars since 1993

Zorg wrote:To further fuel the discussion, we could at some point open a new era for the game, adding race selection. If you don't like the concept race, we can name it specialization or government type or whatever that fits better. Perhaps the government type suits better because the race would have to be permanent and permanent solutions do not seem to be good for an endless game. The point is that we could expand the game strategy in this way.

Here are some pre-facts just in case this continues to grow as a concept, lets say we pick governments:
-3 types of government (3 is a good number for such a feature. More can unbalance the game fast)
-Each type gives something special. (like a ship type that can be built only under this government type. The special things can be many and will be added one by one as time passes. Can be resources bonuses as well, ie +% metal production or it could be +%resources production while at the same time -% fleet attack/defense power. Just naming ideas here...)
-You will be able to switch between governments but you will suffer some relative losses (ie if you switch to another government, you will lose all the ships of current government type + you pay a cost of xxxx deuterium).

I think I have seen similar suggestions in the past or something along these lines, so thought to give it a bit more attention.
I like the races idea and give it two thumbs up...you could mix that with the government idea together...making the races so that they have only small differences here and there...with perhaps these differences appearring in the mining amounts or cost reductions and higher costs here and there...as well each planet could have a different dominant species which the government oversees...another option could be diverse cultures where races intermingle...this could be narrowed down to the planetary scale and incorporating a government on top of this would allow race control...thus it no longer is so permanent because the government can change things as it sees fit...and the government could also change if the player wants...though this ought to take time and perhaps the risk of rebellions...changing governments shouldn't be so easy as simply pushing a botton and instant change!

Thus...a player could have several different races assigned to different worlds or a single race spread through out all his or her worlds or a diversity of races on a single planet even. Some races might not be capadible with others, so there ought to be a nice selection to mix em up with...this also increases player individuality...with is always a huge plus in any game.

And...a player could have only one government at a time which would apply to all their worlds. Perhaps some governments and some races would not be capadible as well.

Both races and governments ought to have specialized ships, defenses, and/or technology. Sorta like how the Klingons have cloaking technology and in this same example the 'klingons' (possibly some new and fresh race) would have to develop the new technology to a point before they could build their cloaking warships.

This is one of the best ideas I've seen so far, I am sure it could be developed and incorporated and I would enjoy seeing this happen. I will stay active on this thread to continue to add to this idea...there is more I can think of on it but let's start step for step!

Sheperd wrote: Defensive Government: Decrease the amount of time it takes to build defense weapons, or decrease the resource cost

Offense Government: Decrease the amount of time/ resources needed to make ships.

Research Government: Decrease the amount of time/resources it takes to research techs.

Developing Government: Decrease the amount of time/resources it takes to building buildings

Energy Efficient: Increase energy per fusinon reactor, Solar Satellites, solar Satellites station bye 100/ increase every level

Exploration government: Decrease time it takes to go from one planet to another.

Theses are just ideas and they increase in effect every level. Hope ye like it!

-Sheperd
Not bad...possibly the basic change behind the government but to name them as such would seem off...their names would be better if they were based on real types...I'll go find my list now and post some of these names (yes...I have a list of different types of governments...)...30 seconds later (that was easier then I thought it would be)...

Autocracy - Government which rests in self-derived, absolute power typified by hereditary emporer for example.

Bureaucracy - Government by department. Rule being through the heads of various departments and conducted by their chief administers.

Confederacy - Gov. by a league of (possibly diverse) social entities so designed to promote the common goal of each.

Democracy - Gov. by the people, i.e. the established body of citizens, whether direct rule or through elected representitives.

Dictatorship - Gov. whose final authority rests in the hands of one supreme head.

Feodality - Gov. of a feudal nature where each successive layer of authority derives power and authority from the one above and pledges fealty likewise.

Geniatocracy - Gov. reserved to the elderly or very old.

Gynarchy - Gov. reserved to females only.

Heirarchy - Gov. which is typically religious in nature and similar to a feodality.

Matriarchy - Gov. by the eldest females of whatever social unit exists.

Monarchy - Gov. by a sinlge sovereign, usually heriaditary, where power is absolute or limited.

Oligarchy - Gov. by a few rulers who are co-equal.

Pedocracy - Gov. by learned, savants, and scholars.

Plutocracy - Gov. by the wealthy.

Republic - Gov. by representitives of an established electorate who rule on behalf of the electors.

Theocracy - Gov. by god-rule by a representive of God, likely a preist (an extremely religious government).

Syndicracy - Gov. by a body of syndics, each representing some business interest.

Anarchy - No Goverment...(could be incorporated as a planets rebels given one changes their government - though then it would be a good idea to incorporate loyalty of the governed worlds to the capital world...).

As you can see there is a lot to choose from and these could be the names for your idea...for example a Plutocracy might generate crystals or even Zorg rubies over a period of time...maybe having access to a building of increased capacity for one or the other (off course a building the can produce Zorg Rubies ought to not produce them quickly and ought to be probably even more difficult to build then a Death Star...with chances of detection during the development phase). Basically...these are much better names then offensice government...defensive government...though they could contain the same changes according to which fits to which best.

Space politics...this would be very interesting!

Jozen-Bo wrote:
I like the races idea and give it two thumbs up...you could mix that with the government idea together...making the races so that they have only small differences here and there...with perhaps these differences appearring in the mining amounts or cost reductions and higher costs here and there...as well each planet could have a different dominant species which the government oversees...another option could be diverse cultures where races intermingle...this could be narrowed down to the planetary scale and incorporating a government on top of this would allow race control...thus it no longer is so permanent because the government can change things as it sees fit...and the government could also change if the player wants...though this ought to take time and perhaps the risk of rebellions...changing governments shouldn't be so easy as simply pushing a botton and instant change!

Thus...a player could have several different races assigned to different worlds or a single race spread through out all his or her worlds or a diversity of races on a single planet even. Some races might not be capadible with others, so there ought to be a nice selection to mix em up with...this also increases player individuality...with is always a huge plus in any game.

And...a player could have only one government at a time which would apply to all their worlds. Perhaps some governments and some races would not be capadible as well.

Both races and governments ought to have specialized ships, defenses, and/or technology. Sorta like how the Klingons have cloaking technology and in this same example the 'klingons' (possibly some new and fresh race) would have to develop the new technology to a point before they could build their cloaking warships.

This is one of the best ideas I've seen so far, I am sure it could be developed and incorporated and I would enjoy seeing this happen. I will stay active on this thread to continue to add to this idea...there is more I can think of on it but let's start step for step!
I agree with you, great idea. I touched on some of the same ideas in my posts (as have others). My concept of the Avians were partially based on Klingons with their "Birds of Prey" warships.

I think having multiple native races (as opposed to player races) on the same planet is not a bad idea, but one that may over-complicate things.

I particularly agree about the concept of changing governments. I am not so big on the idea of changing starting race.

Anyway, I was thinking about and thought it would be pretty cool if some native races (not player races) were common and others less common and others unique.

The penalties and bonuses associated with those races would be scaled, with the most common have the smallest and the unique having the greatest.

The discovery of a unique race could be that of an ancient world where upon colonization, ancient alien artifacts could be discovered. These artifacts could provide great bonuses for something, but also be known to the general player population. Perhaps revealed with high enough espionage tech scan of a player's planets. These artifacts could be won or lost in battle. They would only confer their bonus only when on a planet. So they could be moved with a fleet, but will only function when landed. Like resources, they could not be jumped. I think that would add an interesting element to the game. With the addition of ACS attack, things will be more balanced for those with the leadership and smarts to coordinate attacks on stronger players.

eg 1: Hand of the Tyrant: This ancient device is believed to have been designed to help defend a homeworld in the absence of a long forgotten military genius. It retains in its memory, ancient war stratagems long forgotten to help defend a planet after his passing. It confers a 25% Attack bonus to all the Defensive structure on a planet.

eg 2: Power of Voltar: This crystal of ancient alien technology boosts energy production by 25% while in operation on a planet.

eg 3: Eye of the Shadowspawn: Appearing as a robotic octopus with a single eye in its head, this device is able to decipher information from espionage transmissions far greater than any known technology available. It provides a boost to Espionage Tech of four levels when stationed on a planet or moon. It must be on the planet or moon the probes are launched from.

LOL, sorry if they are a bit corny. There are probably some others who could better refine these ideas. These artifacts could be even more powerful than this, but should be rare enough to make them highly valued. The owners should either be listed in the scoreboard or have a list of their own.

Khan Noonian Singh

Honestly, the planet races add a more luck aspect to a strategy game. With moon formation and ships changing in effectiveness, I would really only like things that emphasize skill, not luckily getting a really great race. I am still a supporter of the one chosable race idea.