[Implemented] Restrict access to IP addresses.

I am not flaming or Mod baiting. I am simple asking to help prevent any situation occurring. I believe that players IP address are seen by Moderators both in game and chat. I would like this privilege removed and restricted to ZE admin. It has been clearly shown that to my knowledge a former moderator (not saying current) has been using this information for their own ends. If any player or Moderator believes that there is any multi accounting this is sent to admin to check.. Thus removing the need for a moderator to see this sensitive piece of information. Once again I am not trying to cause an argument just remove any future situations that may occur from this issue.

I would like to add I am checking with certain authorities if this is not in fact against the data protection laws. I have re read the terms and conditions of joining ZE and where it does say ze admin it does not make any reference to adopted players who are not employees.

Re: Make ZE a better place

Let the mod team do their job. The reason moderators exist is because admins cannot be online all the time.

The privileges that you are talking about are basically responsibility there is where you are wrong about looking at it.

Trust the moderators and trust how they do the work. Also there is hardly much can be traced from IP tracing. The only difference is that moderators in chat only check IP when they find it suspicious on a players behavior. If that can find a cheater/multiplay let it be.

I am not opposing or supporting this idea simply delivering the facts. I have been on temp moderations and only performed IP checks if needed. And i am sure most moderators do the same rather keep a book tab. If there is someone who is exploiting find the person and report. He will be removed and made sure that no more mod authority is given to him/her.
Barbaric nomad causing P-A-I-N.

Spy so pleased you took time to reply.. What you state is like shutting the stable door after the horse has gone..lol

FACTS
I agree admin can not be online all the time nor do they need to.. we both stated to report any believed multi accounting is all anyone needs to do including Mods.
You are wrong however on IP address not being used.. Mine and a number of other players IP address are now being used by someone other than the true account holder. Thus this information obtained through the use of chat and alike moderators function. This information is private and should not be seen by anyone other than an employee of any game anyone subscribes to. Cloning IP or in fact gaining any personal information is against the law if used for fraudulent purpose.

I want to know what do you call IP, what IP that you are so concerned with that has been shared? I am asking just understand... do you own that IP that is showing on forum or chat?

Cause we have already discussed in the chat in much more elaborated manner that the IP tracing can only go as fur as public net if it is showing your own IP, which i doubt you have then i suggest you use a better security system to mask it.

A little back ground if you did not know.

There are three kind of network.

> Global Network (Internet)
> Private Networks VPN
> and Lan.

In most cases the IP that you are referring to or anyone in the chat or here is asking about is the IP ur ISP uses on the gateway of their VPN to Internet.

and what u find with ipconfig is basically the much more secured LAN behind that ISP router. which can change over time if it is automatic.

So i am asking do you know which IP has been leaked that is raising this privacy issue to you?

And if you are saying it is your ISP gateway IP which i am sure it is then just so you know ... all VPN gateway IP address are infrastructural made public.

In my short existance on ZE there have been a few things that I have found odd to say the least and possibly cheating and or illegal.
Without absolute proof I will not elaborate further but I will be talking to some I.T. professionals about this matter. At the very least I dont think a mod should see ip addresses for servers they play on at all.
But someone is definitely abusing the system and it needs fixed before all your customer base leaves.
I know as long as my ip address is visible to anyone that is not a bonafide employee of ZE I will not be using my credit card to buy rubies, I just dont feel it is safe.
I'll take 96.875%

Scag wrote:In my short existance on ZE there have been a few things that I have found odd to say the least and possibly cheating and or illegal.
Without absolute proof I will not elaborate further but I will be talking to some I.T. professionals about this matter. At the very least I dont think a mod should see ip addresses for servers they play on at all.
But someone is definitely abusing the system and it needs fixed before all your customer base leaves.
I know as long as my ip address is visible to anyone that is not a bonafide employee of ZE I will not be using my credit card to buy rubies, I just dont feel it is safe.
We are able to see you ip and others in the case of abuse so that we can assist none of us are doing evil or bad things. We are here to help, not abuse.

i feel if mods think there is abuse going on they should bring it to the attention of ZE employees who will have access to ip addresses only. ip addresses are sensitive information and should not be provided to entities that are not ZE employees legally.
if a ZE employee does something malicous with my ip than ZE is liable, if a non employee does somthing they are not.
a window for malicous intent should not be left open.
I'll take 96.875%

[quote We are able to see you ip and others in the case of abuse so that we can assist none of us are doing evil or bad things. We are here to help, not abuse.[/quote]

I am not saying you are or any current Moderator is. What I have said is that a past or Ex mod be it forum or chat has. No one should need this information apart from ZE employees. it is in fact private. (Yes SPY these ip address are public but of no use with out owner identity or associated information.. Like knowing a home address but not knowing the owners name or age or sex) of little use. In this case and EX mod has been able to clone and log in to ZE using other players IP addresses. Thus misusing privilege information.
I know this for a fact as it was admitted to me by this player. My point is why is there any need for this private information to be seen by a fellow player. If anything suspicious is believed then it should be passed to an authorised admin employee. I have shown from a previous post that an IP address can disclose a players home location down to the city and country they play from.. Thus providing a potential enemy (in game of course) having information over another.. If this is acceptable then all players countries and time lines should be posted. However it would be my belief that if this was the case very few players would register to play this game. No information should be available to anyone but ZE employee's.. least of all other players of the same game. Having said this I still would feel happier knowing that sensitive information was disclosed only to a game employee and not Joe public.. because not even ZE really knows who any of us truly are in person..

To sum it up regardless of what anyone says to defend this. It has happened therefore something should be done to prevent a similar incident occurring in the future. Further proof has been posted by a current Moderator that this EX mod was using false ip address to which he reported this fact.

Gozar wrote:EX mod has been able to clone and log in to ZE using other players IP addresses. Thus misusing privilege information.
The above is a serious allegation, if this is true then I myself am skipping chat until ZE admins post a response and give us assurance that either the claim is false and if true then shut down the chat and give us something that wont open up a scope like this. A game like ZE needs a chat room but if that chat room is a scope to find misuse then we are better without it.

I believe Zorg/Admin/Dev Team should look into this with highest priority.