Re: Fleet Points Visible All The Time

MegaMedes wrote:May I suggest the following then:

Run a cron job that would randomize the time of the update, instead of having it the same all the time. Would make the game more interesting, no?
I couldn't support this either. This would skew too much in the fleeter's favor. A player's ability to hide his/her on/off times if he/she is careful and pays attention is just as important.

In my opinion, as it stands now, there is balance: If you leave your fleet unattended it will be apparent, but if you are online with fleet down you can lift at update to hide your fleet.

The only potential issue is supernoobs, but there are other (better) ways to handle this problem that don't involve tinkering with this aspect of the game (for instance, with protection that expires after a given time, etc...)

Again, wasn't asking for a definitive answer, just views.

If you were to say something along the lines of "No, out of the question" then rather than continue with pointless chatter, we would dis-continue.

In that case, we shall continue.

So, so far, it seems, Zorg aside, that apart from Pulsar, most are in agreement with this, that the fleet points should always be visible.

Perhaps Pulsar can expand on the reasons as to why this is not a good idea? She seems adamant from a fleeter's point of view that things should remain the same. Perhaps we can call on others, like her to contribute.

mightyoz wrote: Perhaps Pulsar can expand on the reasons as to why this is not a good idea? She seems adamant from a fleeter's point of view that things should remain the same. Perhaps we can call on others, like her to contribute.
I think I've explained pretty clearly why I don't want this change, but I'll try again. Tracking fleet points is a huge part of how I track players and spot unattended fleets. Showing fleetpoints all the time would just interfere too much and be too much of an impediment to how I play the game. I understand why you might see this as a good idea if you don't actively hunt other fleets in the way I do, as a change like this would provide greater safety and protection in case of missed fleet landings, but it would disrupt the game dynamics in a very significant way. I would no longer be able to spot unattended fleets with any sort of efficiency of track smaller changes in movement as I do now. This is the biggest part of how I play. The game needs balance, not greater protection for players who slip up on a fleet save.

At the same time, I also believe players who are careful and always online for fleet landings should be able to hide their full fleet by lifting at update. Again, this is part of the game strategy, and yet another reason I wouldn't support this change. Let's not kill the game for those who play like I do or eliminate certain strategic elements and tools just because we want greater safety and protection in case we miss a fs.

Perhaps I worded my last post badly. It is clear what you mean. I understand and they are good points.

But it seems one sided at the moment. Most seem in favour of having those fleet points showing. Being, at this moment, in the minority, more players in favour of things staying the same should post. I am currently trying to encourage players from my server of choice to post. Alas, it's an uphill struggle.

mightyoz wrote:Perhaps I worded my last post badly. It is clear what you mean. I understand and they are good points.

But it seems one sided at the moment. Most seem in favour of having those fleet points showing. Being, at this moment, in the minority, more players in favour of things staying the same should post. I am currently trying to encourage players from my server of choice to post. Alas, it's an uphill struggle.
i just read a post talking about your server of choice (we all know its standerd) and in standred it said it is little pvp cause its so costly to move fleets due to duet cost. well thats not the case for our servers as im under 200k points and sitting on almost 1 bil deut. now with that said of course it would help your server more to show fleet all the time but on the servers where we get our breed and butter from fleeting it would be game ending, it is such a bad idea i cant believe people are even thinking about it, well your from standerd so that explains some of it. so slow there ppl must have forgot what fleeting means. anyways no, no no no.

Disagree with fleet points showing......not sure why this is even being discussed when there are far more important game issues to address imo. If it was merely to stop super noobs then this is not the way....I have already mentioned a few in other posts. Fleeters have always played a certain way to crash fleets....they do their homework.....hidden fleets that pop up on rankings every so often ....roamer at the ready etc......bad enough when moon destroys were played about with too much to almost eliminate lanx hits from occuring......now you want all fleet points to show? What next...entire player base online times visible to all? Entire server naps or everyone buys every "spare" account to crash at leisure? But I digress......Big NO from me.....