Recruiting Topics: The Truth

Here's some truths about recruiting topics-

1. No alliance can offer protection. It doesn't happen. It can't happen.

You aren't located close enough to most of your alliance. Distribution keeps you from being next to a supporting fleet. ACS defend is great if you're being attacked by a low ranking player who is sending RIPs at you- only if you have alliance mates strong enough to take them out, are on-line when you need them, have the resources to deploy their fleet to your ACS defend, and are close enough to do anything about it.

Threats by your alliance mates seldom stop an attack. Telling most players that "my alliance will attack you if you don't recall your attack on me" is only good for a laugh at your expense.

Besides, if someone posts a recruiting topic claiming they can offer protection- it usually means they are n00bs themselves and have no concept how the game works nor a fleet strong enough to help you in the first place.

2. Bribes to join are BS.

If someone says they are going to give you resources if you join, question whether they know about the Milking/Pushing rules. Having someone send you resources is a great way to quickly end your gaming career by being banned.

Secondly, if they are offering bribes to get you to join, how good could they possibly be? If they're are that big of a n00b, how much in resources could they send anyway?

3. Offers of rank mean nothing.

Any alliance that offers a rank for you to join are ridiculous. They have no clue whether you deserve a rank or not. Ranks need to be earned by respect, skill, and accomplishments. How would you like to have someone ranked "Admiral" tell you how to play and see his name at the losing end of battle reports on a daily basis in the Union of Honor forum? It happens all of the time.

Suggestions:

- Join a new alliance where the leader tells you up front that you will learn together. Learning is the primary reason for being in an alliance. You grow from not repeating the mistakes of you and your alliance mates and from the successful strategies you share with each other.

- Join an alliance that has activity within the alliance as a primary requirement for continued membership. Wearing an alliance tag means nothing if you aren't part of an active community.

- Join an alliance where the community comes first and points come a far second. Support and camaraderie make the game worth playing. Without it, the game becomes stale and stagnant very quickly.

- Join an alliance where your opinion matters from day one. If the alliance you join has an over bearing commander or staff that tells you what you "must do or else", get out as quickly as you can. You will not grow.

- Join an alliance with few rules. An alliance with a tons of restrictions will kill your empire before it even begins and gaming will be a miserable experience.

Re: Recruiting Topics: The Truth

Because its an easy way to get someone who is new into the alliance o.O They don't know whats going on and just see "free resources" and start looking frantically for the apply button. It hurts the alliance and the player, though.

I always figured they could be banned for advertising it, but I guess not...I wish they could :(

supercow wrote:I disagree, i can offer protection to my members in my alliance, because i made colonies next to them, and some alliances the people are only 3-6 solar systems away.
I love that strategy. Puts all of your assets in one neat convenient place to shop. I set up a roaming planet next to it and I can farm for days. :lol:

Yeah, /fail on clustering near alliance members o.O

I've had one person help me with a ninja and that only happened because the guy sent a fleet from like 3 galaxies away on a fleet-save attack on my planet.

Unless you've got maxed out engine levels, your not gonna be able to help 99% of the time :) Best to let them get hit and learn to dodge or fleet-save. You only find out what kind of player they actually are AFTER they get crashed. Good way to weed out the whiners, I think.

supercow wrote:I disagree, i can offer protection to my members in my alliance, because i made colonies next to them, and some alliances the people are only 3-6 solar systems away.
It's better to leave them in the Savannah and let them play tag with poo-flinging monkeys. So they have a better idea of what to do when the big cats comes around. :D
Seasons end.