Re: Legends

It seems that most people have tried to call someone a legend because of how good/skillful they are. That doesn't make any sense to me. I have concluded that this game takes no skill, just time and strategy. That said, is anyone really deserving of recognition because they have more time, or a better strategy, which can be freely shared or observed? Obviously there are other lesser influences on success, but these seem like the main two. Or maybe I don't quite understand the game fully yet, and I'm dead wrong?
❦: I think this is supposed to be a pepper, in which case, it would be appropriate for my signature. If, however, it is discovered not to be a pepper, it will promptly be removed and anyone who refers to it will be deemed a conspiracist.

Your knowing the timing of when to employ strategy is skill.
Gale points:ummm to far behind to care and too long since I got one to remember

That which is written without effort is usually read without enjoyment.

No it is not you have to adapt the angle of how you shoot the gun[strategy]and calculate the right time to shoot as to hit[timing]Just that simple combination[+ the knowlegde of how to compensate for many other factors I am unaware of,not being a practiced marksman]that compose skill.
Gale points:ummm to far behind to care and too long since I got one to remember

That which is written without effort is usually read without enjoyment.

Sizzle wrote:It seems that most people have tried to call someone a legend because of how good/skillful they are. That doesn't make any sense to me. I have concluded that this game takes no skill, just time and strategy. That said, is anyone really deserving of recognition because they have more time, or a better strategy, which can be freely shared or observed? Obviously there are other lesser influences on success, but these seem like the main two. Or maybe I don't quite understand the game fully yet, and I'm dead wrong?
Very true Sizzle, as I have said over and over again for a very long time; it is not hard to be good at a game like this, it's all math and time invested. However, there are individuals who cannot employ strategies as well as others (or at all), which I suppose is where the illusion of skill comes in, rather than brain or willpower.
When people ask me plz because it's shorter than please, i feel inclined to respond no because it's shorter than yes...

IKICKAYOUWASSNOW wrote:I think that if they plopped all the top players now with all the legends before all against each other, people would STILL make mistakes both ways, as nobody is perfect and to succeed in this game you need luck as well as skill and a lot of time to kill...
I would like to see more Legends returning to see such a battle. Players like Mintaka,SquirelonCrack and gummpy,slash,myrsee,khan,sadbuttrue,The_templar for example (just some on top of mind, there are many more, a simple check on old combat reports in X-TREME universe will unveil many more famous old players). There is always plenty of time for them to catch up in my opinion even if they start afresh in X-TREME.

With current username change ability they can even start incognito to evade early attention that can prove hot.

The game has improved a lot and since these players made their fame when the game had a lot of bugs and limited features (no rapid fire, no acs attack, no extra ships, etc) they will normally find it more alluring now.

I already see some old faces back, like cardshakam and josh_and_drew (more too, apologies but my point is not to single out anyone, I just give examples out of my personal memory which have no particular weight) and I see this as a good opportunity to spice up things even more.

Sizzle wrote:It seems that most people have tried to call someone a legend because of how good/skillful they are. That doesn't make any sense to me. I have concluded that this game takes no skill
You need an enormous amount of skill in calculus if you want to be a good turtle. I don't have a whole bunch of free time, but when I do I calculate ratios and different probabilities for different defensive structures. Y'know...combinations and permutations.

Mass producing light lasers is not a skill....it just gets you good points. However, designing your own structure is valuable and takes a lot of thought. Everyone plays the game differently. It's not always top ranked players who became legends.
_______________________Public Relations Administrator______________________

__________________A tongue of silver is worth plenty in gold._________________
[/color]

Gale wrote:
Sizzle wrote:It seems that most people have tried to call someone a legend because of how good/skillful they are. That doesn't make any sense to me. I have concluded that this game takes no skill
You need an enormous amount of skill in calculus if you want to be a good turtle. I don't have a whole bunch of free time, but when I do I calculate ratios and different probabilities for different defensive structures. Y'know...combinations and permutations.
I have to disagree here. :P The only thing you need to do to be a good turtle, is to spam the hell out of Light Lasers and every once in a while calculate whether an upgrade of WSA will net you more firepower/survivability than spending the same amount on more lasers. Then rinse and repeat, while not leaving your **** behind it unless you know there is nothing in the game that can touch you. I did that for two weeks (yes just two weeks, from a base of 20k lasers) and it resulted in a shell that is impenetrable (with profit) unless a few of the top fleets ACS it. Any other turtling style is not as good a method as that one, not by my opinion, by the mechanics of the game's opinion. So yeah, sorry to burst your bubble and all, but you do not need an enormous amount of skill in calculus to be a good turtle (or the best turtle, even).

Skill in ZE is an illusion, it's just brainpower and willpower. :)
When people ask me plz because it's shorter than please, i feel inclined to respond no because it's shorter than yes...

I hate calculus and I'm #1 so if turtling requires skill, (not sure if it does or if its just typing 1000 in the different defense boxes and pressing enter I just build my shell up and hope no one cracks it open), it doesn't really require skill in calculus just basic math and simming yourself against different fleets to find out where improvement is needed and how much ya need to stay safe.

Just figured I would say a little something :)
I LOVE LIGHT LASERS :D
Come knock at sHELL's gates if you dare ;)